Monday, May 21, 2007

My Honey Bunny Bear


I am filled with a heap of sadness this morning as I prepare to make The Call to our veterinarian to have my dog, Bunny, euthanised at home..... This is a difficult day for me. I've never had to do this before.....

On my grandparents' farm, animals were not "pets". They stayed outside and ate table scraps. Life for them was hard and fast, and we never got to really know any dogs outside of Charlie, the beagle. He was with us for 5 or 6 years until another dog killed him.

Anyway, if you read these words today, please take a moment to send out some good, loving thoughts to my poor old baby's shattered body..... The past few days & nights have been very hard for her; I can't even imagine the pain that must come with disfigured shoulders and spine. She can't breathe or walk well anymore and I'm just trying to do the right thing. I'd always hoped that she would pass away peacefully in her sleep and that I wouldn't have to do this.

Thanks,

-AWD

1 comment:

Tennessee Jed said...

Compassion sometimes is hard to define, you did what you had to do to end the suffering. I had to make the compassion choice for my own mother a few years back to remove her life support during her terminal cancer battle. So I know the heavy feeling all too well. Time will mend your heavy heart, please know you did the right thing.